Integrated Customs Information System
The Customs Service of the Republic of Moldova is a legal and state security institution that ensures the country’s economic security by efficiently collecting taxes and duties, combating customs frauds, facilitating international trade, and protecting society by applying the customs legislation uniformly and impartially.
The Integrated Customs Information System is the most important technological link required for the functioning of the Customs Service of the Republic of Moldova. The institution aims to increase the performance of the IT system, to simplify management procedures, to ensure flexibility so that the IT system can be adapted to the requirements related to its activity and to optimize the provided services.
The initial state
At the beginning of the project, the Customs Service’s IT system had been in use for several years and was close to its technological limit of use. Under these circumstances, the Customs Service contracted the services of our company to launch the modernization process.
In order to achieve the Customs Service’s objectives, a complex technological update project was developed. The goal was to implement a modern IT infrastructure, to ensure a remote backup data center, to update the applied platform by developing national modules and extensive consulting, implementation and support services.
The project was executed in a short period of time, without disturbing the activity of the Customs Service.
The project included the transition to a modern IT infrastructure, including state-of-the-art blade servers, virtualization and storage solutions, implementation of a post-crash recovery system and a monitoring system, SOClass v.2.2 applications servers update, as well as ASYCUDAWorld v.4.2.0 application update, including the upgrade of interfaces for all the national modules, developed so far.
ASYCUDA World (ASYCUDA: Automated SYstem for CUstoms DAta) is a software developed by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) with the aim to assist reforms in customs and to support trade and customs control facilitation.
- An IT platform with high performance and availability virtualization features has been designed and deployed. This platform is able to balance data upload and recovery after a crash via remote replication, providing database and application servers management services.
- The IT platform was built with two distinct nodes using powerful interconnection communication channels.
The applied components included:
- Implementing new versions of SOClass 2.2 and AsycudaWorld 4.2.0
- Implementing and updating basic applications, including database management systems, virtual platforms, operating environments, and utility programs
- User interaction monitoring and management applications
- IT infrastructure management applications
- Analysis and consultancy services
- Design services
- Installation and configuration services
- Software implementation services
- Testing services
- Project management services
- User and administrators training services
- Warranty, maintenance, and technical support services.
- Increased quality of control and tracking operations of all types (before, during or after customs clearance)
- Increased availability of elements for assessment of customs clearance and control operations
- Improved data exchange with external structures, including from abroad
- Creation and reinforcement of a unique information security system for the customs bodies of the Republic of Moldova
Following the implementation of this project, the Customs Service has acquired an IT infrastructure and a modern technological platform, allowing to expand and improve the quality of services offered to both economic agents and citizens.